Thursday, March 13, 2008



I FOUGHT THE BIKE AND THE BIKE WON!!!


I hate it when things don't work the way they are supposed to, or the way you hope things are supposed to work. It can ruin your day! damn it! :)

I did a ride with Pat and Ron S. yesterday and we headed south out to Miller Farm Road. On one of the many rollers out there I shifted to my small ring to climb up the other side and POP BANG DING BAM BOOM. My chain sucked up behind the chain rings from below and was somehow sucked down between the front derailleur and chain rings from above crossing the chain coming up from above. If someone had brought a bike into the shop with the chain like this I would really disbelieve that it would be possible to happen while riding.

Well I am still not used to the compact crank on my new road bike and find when I shift to the small ring it is too big of a jump down in gearing so I double shift to a few smaller cogs at the same time to make the gear change mesh a little better. With that much shifting going on at once I have to soft pedal a couple of times to make the shift happen without any bad things happening in the drivetrain.

I read before buying last years Sram Force group that a lot of people thought the chainrings were not stiff enough. Well.....I thought how stiff do chainrings need to be......and....well...I bent my outer chainring, sheered off two teeth on the outer chainring, broke my chain, and chipped a piece of clear coat of my pretty new carbon frame......DAMN


I fought the bike and the bike won. Next time I will softpedal when shifting both front and rear at the same time, instead of trying to stand and hammer to catch up to Pat and Ron.
Touche' Bike, we fight again tonight.
To be continued

2 comments:

Mr. Burris said...

Your title is a take off from an old country song, "I fought the Law and Law Won". Try listening to Alan Jackson music. It will get your head straight, has good family orientened themes, and has none of that ugle rap stuff in it.

joe york said...

I know of a good shop where you can get some much needed bike mantinence